Sorry I've been gone for so long, but things have been kind of crazy around here. Here's what's been happening:
1. Confession: I hadn't gotten my hair cut since Hill was born. Yes, that was December. Gross, I know. I got about 8 inches cut off and threw in a little highlight action as well. Good thing it made me feel so much better about myself because if ooo's and ahhh's from my friends and husband where what mattered, I would have been really disappointed. Kyle doesn't like it and only a couple of my friends even noticed. Apparently I've had my hair in a ponytail for the past 8 months ;-)
2. I threw Kyle a 30th birthday party. Nothing big or fancy, but fun. My day of running around trying to get everything done for the party could be a post in itself.
3. Hill started Mother's Day out and it hasn't really gone as expected. The first day when I went to pick her up, the Director of the whole school was rocking her. She wouldn't take a bottle or eat her lunch. The second day she cried the whole time and got sent home with a note saying that "it was not a good day" and "Hill played by herself". The third day, I got a phone call from the director saying I needed to come pick her up because Hill had gotten so upset that she had thrown up.
Lovely. So much for my mother's day out. I am in a panic all day, just waiting on them to call me from school.
4. While I'm on the subject of throw up, Hill is now eating 3 full meals a day plus a snack. We have always offered her an 8oz bottle right before bed at night and she normally sucks it down. Well, 2 nights last week, just as we were walking her into her room, projectile vomit. All over her, me, Kyle, the rug, and really anything within a three foot radius. Poor Hill, there is nothing worse than watching your child throw up. As soon as she got it all out she was perfectly fine. Talk about timing though. Back in the tub to begin round two of bedtime (bath, diaper, lotion, new pj's...) and clean up. We've reached the conclusion that we were over feeding her, so now only a 4oz bottle is offered, but I am having major anxiety every time we are walking to put her in the crib.
5. I was so excited to have a baby shower to go to last Sunday and get out of the house for a second. We had a great church service, went to lunch as a family and then came back to our house so I could do a quick touch up of the lipstick and brush my newly cut hair. I ran the brush through my hair, felt a little resistance and just thought I had a few tangles, so I re-brushed and said uh oh. I guess while we were at church, my toothpaste had dripped from the shelf above on to my brush, and my hair was covered. If you know me, you know that a quick rinse of the hair wasn't an option since that would require a blow dry and straighten that I just didn't have time for, and I wasn't missing my hour away from the house. So I did what most people wouldn't have done, went to the shower anyway, a little "something about mary-ish", minty fresh and all. I didn't care. No one seemed to notice, but when I got back home, the toothpaste had totally hardened and turned white. Oh, well.
6. On Friday I took a trip to target to buy a couple of necessities (tampons and sippy cups). Sad purchase, I know, but sometimes I just need to kill some time and Hill loves riding in the cart and flirting with strangers. When I got back home, I was feeding Hill lunch and I thought to myself "I don't remember putting the bag in my car." Uggggh! I called Target, and the conversation (with a man) went a little something like this:
Me: I think I left my bag in the shopping cart inside the store
Target Guy: How many bags?
Me: Just one
Target Guy: Just one? What was in it?
Me: (embarrassed) Tampons and sippy cups
Target Guy: Just bring the receipt and come by to pick it up
Me: The receipt is in the bag
Target Guy: Well, that wasn't very smart
Me: Duh!
Drove the 30 minute round trip (280 traffic) back to Target to claim my Tampons and sippy cups.
7. As a part of working for Bryant Bank, Kyle has tickets every now and then to take some customers to sit in Mr. Bryant's box at the Alabama games. This was one of those weekends and after my week I was looking forward to going. I wasn't able to go last year because I was big huge pregnant. We found out that my parents were going to the game too and Kyle's parents couldn't sit either. Hill has never stayed with a baby sitter other than family and after the whole mother's day out debacle, I wasn't really sure about leaving her with a baby sitter she's never met, for 10 hours while we were an hour away. So, I ended up not being able to go and I was very sad. After a week of spending every second with a 9 month old, I live for the weekends when I have a little help. Then Kyle told me that he'd decided to play golf on Sunday, I cried. His response, jokingly of course, "do you not want to be around Hill?, don't you love her?" My sad quickly turned to mad and let's just say that he didn't play golf.
8. I know that all moms will understand this. Kyle is a huge help! He even tells me that he does more than most dads do. Sometimes I totally agree and sometimes I want to tell him that this isn't the fifties and observing while I play with Hill isn't really helping. If we're trying to get out of the house for something like church, he will watch her while I get ready. That means that he brings her into the bathroom while I am in the shower and let's her play peek a boo with me and let's her crawl at my feet while I'm blow drying my hair because she likes the blow drier. Then I get asked a million questions. What do I need to pack for lunch? what does she need to wear? How much milk do I maker her? What should she play with? Like I said, Kyle is a huge help, but if I am around, I am in charge. There is no light switch to turn the responsibility off.
So in conclusion, I've had a rough week. I love having the opportunity to stay home and watch Hill and there's nothing I would rather do, but I am exhausted! Hill isn't one of those, sit there and look cute kind of baby's. She is feisty, stubborn, wild and very active (cute too). I haven't had a night away from her since she was 6 weeks old (it was a bachelorette party, so not really relaxing). I want to take a shower and not feel rushed, I want to go out to dinner and not hurry to get home, I want to go shopping (by myself), I want to sleep 'til at least 8 on a Saturday. I am in major need of some alone time.
P.S. I have not lost it, I love my child, I love being a mom, I wouldn't trade this time for anything and I know I will be sad when it is all over. I am just venting.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
I'm Having a Pity Party and You're Invited
Posted by Unknown at 9:16 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Lynlee. You are a hoot! I love your stories. I am so sorry you're having such a crummy week! I understand your frustrations (not personally) but a friend of mine feels the same way- particularly about "watching isnt really helping much" and needing some time to herself. I know you are doing an amazing job with Hill and that Kyle will learn to be more helpful. Let me know if there's anything I can ever do to help- Love to come watch Hill for an hour or two while you run some errands or something.
oh, and i can't believe they made you feel so bad at mother's day out. neither you nor Hill could help what was going on! it'll get better as she gets more used to being away from you more often.
Kyle will get better w/ her if he has her on his own some and has to just figure stuff out... you might try a few sat. afternoon shopping trips and let them have some bonding time at home. don't tell him too much to do, just let him come up with his own way of doing things-- then try to resist correcting him and telling him to do it your way... i have to remind myself often that daddies can do thing differently than mommies(except, even andrew agreed that putting e's shoes on backwards for church was probably the wrong way to do it... i bet the nursery workers knew it was a daddy morning ;-)!
I think your hair must have been in a ponytail for the recent past!! You (including the new hair:) looked very cute at the party.
Also, from my inexperienced but pending opinion, you probably just spoke the inner monologue of many moms out there--you were just brave enough to blog about it. I am sure you just gave many out there a huge sigh of relief to know they are not alone. keep it up!
hey bud, its David Wright. Saw your blog. It sounds like you and the fam are doing good. Havent talked to you in a while! we got a blog too: http://ddtwright.blogspot.com
preach on sista! i talked to mindy about us doing lunch or something on wednesdays, while the kids are at school. maybe an hour or TWO stuffing our face will make us feel better... for at least a couple hours.
Hey, that's why you have a blog: open-air venting. I totally understand that, and I don't even have kids! I think what you are is totally normal :)
PS: You're a great mom!!
Post a Comment