Monday, March 24, 2008

He is such an Emo!

I love nicknames for things. For example, eating disorders were sadly rampant in college, so we needed a name for them. Hence, Ed was created. When I was little, my grandmother would tell us to make sure we washed our t-hiney's when taking a bath. Well, the name stuck and has even rubbed off on Kyle. He tells Hill "let's make sure we clean your t-hiney really good" when changing her diaper. The point of my post is this, because my mom is around high schoolers all day, she is up on the latest lingo and she introduced me to my new favorite nickname this weekend. Emo (pronounced E-Moe), short for emotional. It even has a definition on Wikipedia.

The term "emo" is sometimes stereotyped with tight jeans on males and females alike, long fringe (bangs) brushed to one side of the face or over one or both eyes, dyed black, straight hair, tight t-shirts (sometimes with short-sleeves) which often bear the names of rock bands (or other designed shirts), studded belts, belt buckles, canvas sneakers or skate shoes or other black shoes (often old and beaten up) and thick, black horn-rimmed glasses. In recent years the popular media has associated emo with a stereotype that includes being emotional, sensitive, shy, introverted, or angsty. It is also associated with depression, self-injury, and suicide.

Apparently, the name emo has been around for a while, so I am a little upset that I am just now finding out about it. There are even websites dedicated to emo celebrities and emo haircuts and emo fashion. I feel so disconnected. So to all of the Pete Wentz listenin', tight black jeans wearin', floppy bangs sportin', punk rockin' sensitive teens out there, I am so glad that I have a name to call you now.

2 comments:

lindsey & lewis said...

Nice. I think texting has generated a whole new language. Now, I feel old and emo about being left out of the loop. But if it makes it into webster's, like 'bootylicious' supposedly did (I have never actually looked to verify), then we have come to a new low. sigh....

Stephanie said...

Ahh, yes, the new dictionary words. Because I am a nerdy copy editor, I eagerly await this list from Merriam-Webster each year.

I, myself, am a big nick- and code-namer. It just makes things funnier. Next time I get into a fight with Sean and he starts to cry, I'm going to call him an emo.

Oh wait. He doesn't cry. I do.