By the way, I am not trying to draw this story out or leave anybody hanging. I sit down to write during naps so I just put down what I can during the time that I have.
When we arrived at the NICU, Kyle and I were sent to the waiting room so they could give Leeland another spinal tap. It seemed like we were in there forever. All we could do was pray. It was almost too fresh to talk about what had happened and try to make sense of it. It was about 4 am when they let us go back to his room. They had gotten a successful spinal tap and were administering the full range of antibiotics through his IV, but he'd had another "blue episode". Dr. P offered to sit down with us and discuss what he thought was going on. He thought that Leeland was either experiencing seizures that were causing him to have the cyanotic episodes or he was dealing with some after effect of a congenital virus. Either way, they were giving antibiotics to fight off any sort of bacterial infection and would begin seizure medication if he had another cyanotic episode. Dr. P also mentioned that Leeland's CT scan from the ER showed several small calcification's on his brain. My heart completely sank. Dr. P explained that calcification's are an end result of a virus, almost like a scab, that would indicate Leeland had some sort of TORCH (this is an acronym for several congenital viruses) infection in utero. We were left with a lot of unanswered questions and pretty much told that we would have to wait and see. Sitting in Leeland's room watching him in the isolette was torturous. Kyle couldn't take his eyes off the monitor and I couldn't take my eyes off Leeland. I knew that the nurses would be alerted if his numbers started to drop, but we both felt so responsible and helpless. That first night, the nurses arranged for us stay in one of the family rooms. Of course we didn't sleep, but I think we both needed a break from the NICU room. That room made both of us nervous wrecks. The nurses said they would call us if anything happened. Three hours went by really fast and when we hadn't heard anything we were so thankful, and ready to head back up to Leeland's room in time for the Dr.'s rounds. I should mention that as sad as it was to see Leeland laying in the isolet, he looked great, not sick at all, just like a normal healthy baby. When the group came by for rounds we met the attending, Dr. C, for the first time. He said that test results came back negative for bacterial infections such as meningitis and that blood work had been sent to the Infectious Disease lab to test for TORCH viruses, but because it was the weekend, we wouldn't start getting results back til late Monday afternoon. Dr. C examined Leeland and noted positional stridor (noisy/labored breathing) when Leeland was put in a sitting position. We still didn't have any answers. The good thing was he hadn't had anymore cyanotic episodes and I was given the go ahead to begin nursing him again...
Tuesday, April 16, 2013
Leeland Part 3
Posted by Unknown at 9:22 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment