Here we go...I figured this would be the best platform to put my thoughts down on the whirlwind that is my life right now. Plus, I couldn't bring myself to create a Caringbridge website. Something about those sites seem to have a beginning date and an end date and in my heart I know that Leeland's story won't have an end date (at least not one that I will be around for). It is going to be impossible to write down all the details especially those that I would rather forget. I believe in the power of prayer and in miracles because my God is the same yesterday, today and forever, so my hope is that those who read this will join us in prayer over Leeland.
Leeland was born February 20. Normal Pregnancy, normal birth (except for the extreme pain that the epidural was supposed to take care of), and normal stay in the hospital. He weighed 6lb 3oz and was 19 inches long. We came home (rental house) from the hospital on the 22nd. On February 23rd our lives changed forever. It was about 8:00 at night and the whole family was sitting in the living room. Kyle was reading Hill and Baylor a book before bedtime and I was nursing the baby. I was holding Leeland on my chest trying to get him to burp, and when I couldn't get a burp to come out I decided to keep nursing. When I leaned him back in my hands to position him to nurse again, his whole body was blue/dusky, especially his head. I jumped up and yelled "he's blue" and practically threw him at Kyle. I yelled for him to run outside with him. I know this thought process doesn't make any sense, but God is in the details and now I know why. Anyway, my thinking was that when Baylor holds his breath after getting hurt or getting shots, we either blow in his face or somehow try to let cold air hit his body because it will make him take a breath. It was really cold outside, so I guess I thought that the cold air hitting Leeland's body would make him gasp for air. I was screaming, the kids were screaming and Kyle ran out the door with the baby. I immediately called 911 and told them that my baby was blue. She asked me if he was breathing. I had no idea. I yelled out to kyle to ask if he was breathing and he walked back inside with Leeland who was beginning to get some color back, and Kyle said that he was breathing. Leeland seemed very out of it and was pasty white, but I'll take that over blue any day. I ran out into the street to flag down every fire truck and ambulance in Vestavia. About 7 men came storming into the house and said they'd never been called to a scene with a baby so little. They tried to check his heart rate but were having a hard time since they don't have the right equipment for infants. At this time Leeland was still a little pale and they asked me if he'd choked. I looked at my shoulder and saw a good bit of spit up. I hadn't realized it before. As shaken as we all still were I rationalized to myself that he must have choked and that is why he turned blue. The responders must have thought the same thing because they said they would take us in to Children's Hospital if we wanted, but didn't feel it was necessary. About that time Leeland's face started to turn blue around his mouth. That was all it took for me and the responders to jump in the back of the ambulance. I said before that God is in the details and we've since learned that when babies get cold it is very common for them to turn blue, but just around their mouths. Thank God Kyle ran outside with the baby and he got cold because us thinking he was turning blue again was THE reason we decided to go to the emergency room...
Baby is waking up from a nap and this is going to be really long, so I'll post more later
Thursday, April 11, 2013
Leeland Charles Hudlow
Posted by Unknown at 3:39 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
scary! keep em coming!
Post a Comment