Friday, August 28, 2009

Gymnastics

Twenty months is such an in-between age. Hill is active, really active, but most activities such as dance, gymnastics or kids gym require her to have an adult participating with her. I looked into several things before summer started, but couldn't really find a good substitute for MDO, because with MDO I actually get a break. Well, MDO ended a few weeks ago and doesn't start up again 'til September 9! I was desperate to find some sort of outlet for my energizer bunny and it seems I have found it. Hill and I go to Mountain Brook Gymnastics one day a week for an hour. It is so much fun! I grew up going there and a lot of my coaches still coach, so I think I am enjoying it as much as Hill is. When I first told Kyle about it he seemed very concerned and told me that he wasn't sure it was such a great idea. I couldn't figure out what his deal was and just assumed it was him being a Budget Nazi. I kept on digging though, and he told me that he was afraid it was going to stunt Hill's growth. Huh? I laughed out loud, then asked him why and his dead serious response was "you're the shortest one in your family and all of those gymnastics girls have really weird short bodies." I let it hurt my feelings for about a second then explained that Hill isn't even two and hard core conditioning and tumbling was not in the class description. I wish he could come with us to class one day because he would see Hill running around like a crazy person, not following directions, going through obstacle courses/tearing them down , jumping in the pit, hanging from bars and having an absolute blast! It is perfectly suited for her age group and not so perfectly suited for someone 7 months pregnant, but it is sooooo worth it. She and I are both exhausted afterward and it is the perfect start to our day. I wish we could go every day! I don't have any opportunities to take her picture while we are there since I am on operation "don't let Hill seriously injure herself, the gym equipment or someone else", but I did take a couple pictures of her in her leotard the night before her first class. So cute!







3 comments:

lindsey & lewis said...

She looks like the cutest little gymnastics pixie fairy! (and yes, keep your eye on Hill, i almost lost my camera to a kid in kindermusik that might need to be in gymnastics instead!)

TBG said...

too cute! it's ok... josh thinks the same thing about me and gymnastics stunting my growth... i started when i was 2.... my sisters are both 5'7 and 6'0...yet i'm 5'3. if it was gymnastics, there's certainly nothing we can do about it now! :)

Rachel said...

Cute! Where is this exactly? I think that is a perfect activity for that age.